The original jail (1802) burned down in 1884. The Alexandria Jail was used until this building was completed. The jailer and his family lived in quarters in the front until the early 1950s.
Old Town Hall
Built as a gift to the city by Joseph E. Willard in 1900, Old Town Hall is the heart of the city and the venue for an art gallery, concerts, lectures and special events. Willard was the only son of Confederate spy Antonia Ford and her Union captor, Joseph C. Willard. Joseph went on to serve as Virginia’s lieutenant governor and minister to Spain. The elegant building with its grand Doric columns is worthy of its historic past.