The Legato School was built in 1877, after the Civil War. This school was built to provide children of struggling families with a basic education. The stories of those days reveal a saga of hardship and difficulties overcome by a deep longing for better education. The school stayed open until 1930, when it closed and students were transferred to Centreville. In 1969, the Legato school was chosen by the Fairfax County School Board to be restored and turned into a school museum for the 100th anniversary of public education in Virginia. Today, together with members of civic organizations and community volunteers, the Fairfax County Retired Educators have worked to complete this important project in historic preservation. Come out and learn more about the history of public education in Virginia.
Open by appointment